Protecting your most valuable asset
We live in an age of information. Information is an asset that has a similar value much like other assets that you might own. As an asset, that information must be secured from potential attacks or unauthorized access. There are several security goals that must be considered:
- Confidentiality: Hidden from unauthorized access.
- Integrity: Protected from unauthorized change.
- Availability: Available to an authorized party when needed.
- Authentication/Liveness: Ensuring the session is “current” rather than a replay of an earlier session. For example, if you are chatting with a certain person, it would be beneficial to know that the person you are chatting with is indeed who they say they are ano not an unwanted intruder posing as the trusted person.
- Non-repudiation: Assurance that an actor behaved in a way they cannot deny.
- I.e. proving that a sender sent a message or receiver received it.
Not a fan of reading? Watch this video instead!